Author Topic: Part 1: A Warren in the Woods  (Read 1391 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline SchrodingersNinja

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,375
  • Friendship? Again?
Part 1: A Warren in the Woods
« on: March 30, 2018, 11:06:34 PM »
So this is your new home. An oversize (humans can walk the halls without ducking) collection of five rooms in a mountain your leader has named Caesinsjach Mountain, hoping Kurtulmak will smile on this new clan. You have grown up in the Iron-Scale clan, so named because your most prized possession was the scale of an ancient Iron Dragon, but now it is time to expand to split the clan and expand into this new valley. Your old clan was almost always besieged by Goblins, making it difficult to attract a dragon to serve. Here, though, you can build up in safety and amass enough wealth to attract a dragon to fawn over...

So you had hoped.  As it happens, you may have a challenge coming before you had expected. During a regular raid on one of the local villages one of the angry humans announced that your clan's days are numbered as they have used what wealth you did not steal the last 3 or 4 times you attacked to hire an adventuring party to kill you and clear out your new lair!

Your clan pressed humans for information and found out that the adventurers will be arriving in approximately a week. You must make your lair impenetrable to the mammals, get to work!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 11:11:03 AM by SchrodingersNinja »
"True glory consists in doing what deserves to be written, in writing what deserves to be read."
- Pliny the Elder

Offline SchrodingersNinja

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,375
  • Friendship? Again?
Re: Part 1: A Warren in the Woods
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 12:54:35 AM »
"Too soon, too soon!" Yips Doppa, the clan chieftain. He is inexperienced, and rose to prominence because his father, Rarn, was the leader of the larger Iron-Scale clan you have split from. Inexperienced, though he may be, he may not be wrong. You have barely had time to make this lair your own, with no room to add the dangerous traps and small passageways that are a Kobold's in the manner Kurtulmak passed on to your cunning ancestors.

Still, you are KOBOLD! No overgrown mammals will raid your warren and displace you. Your new clan claimed this land, and you will thrive here! It is time to prepare deadly surprises for your enemies. You will teach them to fear your green and black scales as you strike from the darkness and add their belongings to the tribe's loot.

[For the first round lets say you have time to add 10 traps from the list I shared. Ignore any requirements, assume your old clan helped you with the implementation.

When the fight begins, you will control your own character and another generic Kobold.

If your character dies, you may choose a generic Kobold from Volo's or the Monster Manual for the rest of combat, and can make another character sheet after the battle.

As Kobold are killed you will deplete your reserves until none are left, or the enemy dies. You have 12 Kobold in reserve.

For additional tribal Weapons, you have slings for everyone, 5 shortbows, 5 spears, 20 Javelins, and 5 flasks of oil.]
"True glory consists in doing what deserves to be written, in writing what deserves to be read."
- Pliny the Elder

Offline Acetwinelf

  • Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 583
Re: Part 1: A Warren in the Woods
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 08:56:25 AM »
Feedka will approach Yips from behind, put her hand on his shoulder and say. "Time may be against us but we cannot spend time focusing on what we do not have and instead we must focus on what we do, my young leader."
Feedka will then walk away to check on the traps that are prepared for our guests of honor.

Offline SchrodingersNinja

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,375
  • Friendship? Again?
Re: Part 1: A Warren in the Woods
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 10:33:09 AM »
[FYI, The clan leader is named Doppa. I used the verb yips because when he gets excited he sounds a bit like a yipping, yapping dog.

When you guys decide where you want to set a trap, give me the grid coordinates and I can add it to the map.]
"True glory consists in doing what deserves to be written, in writing what deserves to be read."
- Pliny the Elder

Offline Brave Sir Robin

  • Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,534
Re: Part 1: A Warren in the Woods
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 11:38:34 PM »
Near the front entrance to the warrens, Feedka finds Krinn putting the last touches on an abjuration ritual. His eyes are closed, and he slowly waves his crystal-tipped staff about in the air, the broad sleeves of his fancy crocodile-skin robes draping from his scrawny arms. Occasionally he interrupts his deep, rhythmic breathing to murmur in a strange language that seems to roll off his tongue like water.

Krinn rouses from his trance-like state almost as though he were waking up - indeed, he has been known to fall asleep during these rituals, as the chanting and rhythmic breathing are actually quite soothing.

Finding that it is Feedka, the cultist nods his head in respect.

"Caretaker. You should be with the nursery. The young will look to you for courage during the attack." It isn't an admonishment; he is genuinely concerned for her safety - almost as much as his own, which is saying something.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 11:40:30 PM by Brave Sir Robin »

Offline Acetwinelf

  • Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 583
Re: Part 1: A Warren in the Woods
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 12:36:48 AM »
Feedka is inwardly pleased since Krinn's complement means she has been doing her job and maybe that the kobold is growing aswell. Outwardly however, she has a sad frown on her face that makes the bags under her eyes and the wrinkles over her face all the more apparent.
"The young ones see me enough each day. There is no way I can sit still any longer when we are under prepared and I am one of the best trained warriors in the Warren.  Call it the regrets of this old nurse for sitting back for so many years and letting others run to their deaths.
After listening to almost every report of those I watched leave the Warren only to never return, I will not stand by."

Feedka gives a wry smile then looks up to the ceiling or to something past it.
"Do the ancient dragon spirits tell you anything that may prove useful in our coming battle?"

Offline Brave Sir Robin

  • Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,534
Re: Part 1: A Warren in the Woods
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 02:31:23 PM »
"The what now?" Krinn's expression is momentarily blank. "Oh, right, yes, of course," he recalls, laughing at himself and passing the lapse off as merely being a little fuzzy in the brain after his ritual.

He leans in to speak in hushed tones for some reason, as though someone might be listening who shouldn't. "All signs say that The Ancient Dragon Spirits will be on our side, and will preserve us if we are worthy! We must not disappoint them!"

Offline Dingus

  • Adventurer
  • ****
  • Posts: 187
Re: Part 1: A Warren in the Woods
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2018, 04:02:57 PM »
Crawl jogs out of the warrens carrying himself almost in a hurry. When he sees Krinn and Feedka he quickly jumps out of the way as he passes and moves towards Doppa.

"Uh chief, we got the best engineers getting the traps ready, and there may be some natural passages we may be able to use. I'll let you know more when I learn more."

He then begins shifting his weight from one foot to another while waiting for Doppa's response.

Offline SchrodingersNinja

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,375
  • Friendship? Again?
Re: Part 1: A Warren in the Woods
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2018, 09:43:18 PM »
Doppa responds to Crawl:
"Yes, we will use our cunning and our tunnels to outfight the-" his voice cracks, displaying his young age "-Mammals! Prepare yourselves, their belongings will be added to our hoard!"
"True glory consists in doing what deserves to be written, in writing what deserves to be read."
- Pliny the Elder

Offline BlazingFox

  • Adventurer
  • ****
  • Posts: 186
Re: Part 1: A Warren in the Woods
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2018, 09:44:55 AM »
Scampering in from outside Taklak hurries up to Doppa and the others, tugging nervously at his tattered black cloak.

"Hey, uh, boss, bossbossboss. I-I-I was outside setting up some traps, ya'know some little ones to try and pad our stores a bit, 'cause well human food ain't that bad but fresh is best. I saw a big fat rabbit and I thought...What, oh right point, get to the point, got it. I."

Wrapping his hands around his snout Taklak takes a breath and lets it out slowly.

"I heard someting bumbling through the woods, might be those adventurers. Or maybe just the hunting party, just thought you should know."